Wednesday 28 April 2010

Module Reflections



Looking back on my first impressions of the subject and what I recorded during the first lecture, it is clear that my knowledge on the subject has developed and that I have a much broader understanding of world politics and diplomacy. I feel that my knowledge previously was limited and indicated that I had not fully understood the true breadth of politics and the diplomatic world.

I now understand that diplomacy is not confined to just political issues that are discussed by heads of state. Instead diplomacy is a very wide term that encompasses a vast amount of topics, issues, people, countries and organizations (private and non-governmental).

Each week we have studied a new area, a new aspect of diplomacy and the impact that this had/has on world politics. We have often discussed the question marks surrounding the need for diplomats that the world has and whether the large number is really necessary: particularly popular is the example of the EU which many see as a duplication of the role of embassies and diplomats in each country and question whether each country needs these diplomats and embassies when the EU exists. However, many people (and including me prior to our discussions) do not see the true extent of diplomacy and all the negotiations that go on these days in our globalised society.

I feel that the visits to the embassies has helped to strengthen my knowledge and enlightened us to the importance of diplomats today and the significant work that they do, both in the public eye and behind the scene in order to keep order in such a broad range of subjects such as economics, foreign policy, the environment and more. The Swedish embassy showed us the importance of these diplomats even with the European Union and the Ghanaian High Commission emphasized the importance of the variety of areas in which an embassy works.

3 comments:

  1. Diplomacy is definitely wide in scope ,so I agree with you when you say it is definitely not confined to statemen but is quite multi dimensional in the subject matter and also in the modes of diplomacy used. I think it will continue to change though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Betina when you said that “the embassies has helped to strengthen your knowledge and enlightened us to the importance of diplomats today and the significant work that they do, both in the public eye and behind the scene in order to keep order in such a broad range of subjects such as economics, foreign policy, the environment and more.” The reason is that I was happy to do this module because we learn a lot about the diplomats and also how countries do their negotiations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that both visits showed us different ways of understanding diplomacy even by diplomats themselves. It turned out that apart from political issues that they deal with every day, they love their countries so they have decided to serve them.

    Comming back to your point of the wider look at diplomacy - I think all of us have the same feeling, as until the beginning of the module we were thinking of diplomacy as just of relations between states, whereas it consists many more elements.

    ReplyDelete